Monday, September 13, 2010

Quick Chicken Pad Thai

The Dish from Trish can't be just make-up! I will keep including fun recipes as I experiment in the kitchen.

Lately, I have been loving the 30-Minute Supper recipes from Cook's Country. I would highly suggest getting a subscription if you love food but don't have a lot of time in the evenings. Given the choice, I would gladly spend an hour in the kitchen each night, because I love to cook, but that is just not realistic for me. Since I started using these recipes, I am still able to cook from a variety of cuisines and feel like I am eating healthfully and frugally!

This recipe is super easy since it uses an already cooked rotisserie chicken. If you keep some basics on hand, you just have to pop to the shop for chicken and cilantro, and maybe bean sprouts. Because asian food items are so readily available now, you shouldn't have any trouble finding ingredients.

You can enjoy a 14-day trial subscription by clicking here:

Last night we had Quick Chicken Pad Thai.


For my kitchen novices--did you know you should read through a recipe a couple of times before you start cooking? I have found with these quick-cooking asian-inspired dishes, having all the ingredients measured and ready to go means I don't panic when I have a skillet full of hot oil! We are not all those show-off chefs at Big Bowl, ok?

Cook's Country Quick Chicken Pad Thai (serves 4)
Recipe available courtesy of May 2007 issue

8 ounces dried rice stick noodles, about 1/8 inch wide*
3/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup fish sauce**
1/4 cup juice from 2 limes
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 rotisserie chicken, skin discarded, meat shredded into bite-sized pieces (about 3 cups)
4 garlic cloves, minced ( I used 6 cloves, Ialways add more garlic than is called for)
1/4 cup bean sprouts ( I omitted these, mine smelled funny!)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1/4 cup chopped peanuts
lime wedges and additional cilantro, for garnish
1. Cover rice sticks with hot tap water (I just boiled water in my tea-kettle while I started shredding the chicken, I live with an Irishman so we use the tea kettle alot!) and soak until softened but not fully tender, about 20 minutes. Drain noodles. While noodles are soaking, whisk 3/4 cup warm water, fish sauce, lime juice and sugar in bowl until sugar is dissolved.

2. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat until just smoking***. Add chicken and garlic and cook until lightly browned and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add noodles and fish sauce mixture and cook until noodles are coated with sauce, about 3 minutes ( I tossed the noodles with rubber-ended tongs). Scatter bean sprouts and cilantro over noodles and continue to cook, tossing constantly, until noodles are fully tender. Serve, topping with chopped scallions and peanuts if desired. I also garnished with additional cilantro and lime wedges.

*I used Golden Pak Rice Vermicelli
**I used Kikkoman Oyster Sauce
(You can also substitute 4 minced anchovy fillets in 1/4 cup soy sauce)
***This is CRUCIAL! Get that skillet hot so you can really brown the chicken!


Clean up is quick! Chopping board, some bowls, skillet....not too bad! And we ate all of it-no leftovers. This will definitely go into regular rotation!

Let me know what you think!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks Tricia! I made this on Tuesday night and even though I overcooked the noodles :( it was still very tasty! I also always add extra garlic in my recipes!!

    My hubby likes spicy food so I might try adding some red pepper flakes next time.

    Thanks again!
    Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! That would be good! Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete