Wednesday, September 8, 2010

CoverGirl LashBlast and other drugstore mascara reviews

Two confessions:

First, I am currently putting off making a video post until I fix my hair. Mama needs a touch-up!

Second, you DO NOT need to spend a ton of money to get a great mascara!

THERE---I SAID IT!

Videos will be made, hopefully soon, but this mascara review just could not wait. I do lurve high-quality make-up, and my collection proves I don't mind spending money on it, but seriously, you do not need to fork over big bucks for a great mascara. Keep reading and learn about my favorites as well as some to avoid!

CoverGirl Lash Blast

LashBlast Volume Blasting Mascara
I have a crush on this mascara. It is perfect for everyday use. The brush allows you to build volume and length equally for beautiful lashes. As with all CoverGirl mascaras, this comes in a variety of colors. I like the Black. If you are very fair, opt for the Black/Brown.

My friend used the waterproof version on her wedding day, and it really lasted, without flaking or clumping. I am looking forward to trying the fusion option, with brighter colors and shimmer.

If you need a perfect mascara for daily use, check this out. It retails for around $7.

Maybelline The Falsies Volum Express Waterproof


Perhaps the most disappointing mascara I have ever used!

I wanted the look of false lashes. Somedays, I feel like I just want huge, long, gorgeous lashes, and I thought this would be the ticket. WRONG! Clumpy, clumpy, clumpy. Honey, if I can't make a mascara look good, it ain't good! The formula doesn't work for me, and I found the brush cumbersome. I cannot WAIT to throw this one away.

I have used the regular Volum Express and found it to be satisfactory. Not amazing, but ok.

Maybelline Great Lash BIG Mascara
Meh.
Maybelline Great Lash has long been a favorite of make-up artists, and the basic Great Lash is good. It's a classic. For $5, you simply can't go wrong. I don't love the BIG though. I think it is trying to be Benefit's BADgal Lash, but it's not as luxurious. I could survive with this mascara, but I am not in love. If you crave a really big brush and can splurge, go for the Benefit-it's the original, and retails for $19. If you want to stay under $5, go for the Maybelline, but don't say I didn't warn you.

CoverGirl LashBlast Length

LashBlast Length Mascara
Ok, I know I already said I love the regular CoverGirl LashBlast. But this mascara is SO GOOD! The nylon in the formula is what is credited for keeping it from flaking. I have found my lashes keep that soft, flexible look, so they appear real, not caked-on and gross. The skinny long brush distributes the product evenly along the entire length of each lash. You can layer this one on and not get clumps.
If you want to go for a bit more length, this is the mascara for you. I am using the Black, but think when I stock up, I am going to get the Very Black as well, for ultra-glam nights out. Retails for $7-8 bucks, and absolutely worth it. As with the other CoverGirls....if you are very fair opt for Black/Brown.

I hope you found this helpful! Let me know what you think!

6 comments:

  1. So, being that I have always favored Dior's Diorshow mascara, and recently, Fresh's Supernova mascara, I find that I am very picky when it comes to my lashes! But I trust you and your makeup expertese, and I am now thinking I may have to give this "LashBlast" a try! Thanks for the review, Trish! I LOOOVE makeup!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really should have done this when I was still at Sears! You could have tested and reviewed everything for free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon! I know! It kills me that I wasn't on the ball! We did however, succeed in getting Christina hooked on Rimmel mascaras, thanks to your donations. And Kelly, I think I have to review Diorshow....I just can't claim to be an expert without trying it! Where do you get your Fresh mascara? Sephora?

    Thanks for posting ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE LashBlast, I'll definitely have to try out LashBlash Length.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are brain twins. I was just thinking this weekend about doing a mascara test. Though I am having a love affair with my Avon Supershock. Mom and Karisa thought I was wearing false lashes in a couple trial pics I took.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes ma'am, Sephora it is! I encourage you to try the Fresh and the Dior... not to go against your great research of drugstore mascara, but just for fun because you are a makeup lover!! ;)

    ReplyDelete